Friday, January 9, 2015

These Broken Stars

I finished These Broken Stars last night, and I'm not sure what to do with my feelings. Does anybody else have thoughts? I need to know if I'm the only one left feeling kind of unsettled… There was an aspect of it that disturbed me and I can't quite get it out of my head! Very, very unique book. I thought I knew where it was going but I DEFINITELY DID NOT. Lovely writing and well-drawn characters and fascinating world. Good first read of 2015!

In other news, I'm preparing to revise my novel! Gonna revisit some revision techniques I used a couple of years ago, and see how quickly I can whip this thing into shape. Can't wait to make it better!!

Cheers, all, and happy weekend!

5 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

I've read the 2nd book in this series, but not the first! Though I did just buy the first in a very cheap Bookbub deal... =) Good luck w/your revisions! I've just started as well. What are the revision techniques you're using, if you don't mind me asking?

Joanna Ruth Meyer said...

How was the second book? You'll have to tell me what you think of the first! And bookbub is why I bought it too! :-)

I'm attempting to use a combo of the one-pass: http://hollylisle.com/one-pass-manuscript-revision-from-first-draft-to-last-in-one-cycle/ as well as the shrunken manuscript/spreadsheet technique.

I've used them in the past, but it's been so long since I had a first draft to apply them to I'm out of practice.

Good luck with your revisions as well!

karyne norton said...

I'm curious about the second book too! I don't usually read a book unless the whole series is out, but when I read the first book I didn't realize it was going to be a series. I agree that it was unsettling, and didn't go where I expected. I was a little frustrated because it seemed like there were some loopholes and I wasn't sure I understood why things turned out the way they did. I hope future books have more answers. Hope your revision goes well!

Caryn Caldwell said...

It's definitely unsettling, but I loved it. Then again, I like books that keep me thinking for months afterward. (Or, in this case, a year.) The sequel is out, and I hear it involves some of the plot threads from THESE BROKEN STARS, so maybe it will help you feel more settled?

Joanna Ruth Meyer said...

Thanks for the comments, karyne and Caryn! I think I might have to read the sequel and see where the plot threads go!