Monday, October 12, 2015

ON SHIPS (and not the sailing kind)

The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things, of shoes and SHIPS and…

Okay walrus I'mma let you finish, but… :-D Let's talk SHIPS, people.


Éowyn and Faramir from Tolkien's THE LORD OF THE RINGS
These two are like my original ship. My main heartbreak about the otherwise fabulous Peter Jackson movies is the lack of Éowyn/Faramir. I love them SO MUCH. I was enamored with their story back when I first read LOTR circa the age of thirteen. I love how they're both broken, how they both basically go on suicide missions, how they're both stronger than anyone gives them credit for, how they heal each other, how the most romantic sentence in literature is about them: 
And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky and he cared not that they stood high on the walls in the sight of many. 

Cress and Thorne from Marissa Meyer's THE LUNAR CHRONICLES 
I obviously ADORE Cinder/Kai and Scarlet/Wolf, but something about Cress and Thorne delights me to no end. Maybe it's the fact that of all the heroines in the series, Cress is most like me and I relate to her like whoa. From her distant crush to her wretched hike through the desert to her plucky bravery to her jealousy to her wanting to be kissed before she dies…… OH CRESS I LOVE YOU SO. I love how Thorne admires her smarts and pluckiness and really sees her for the deep beautiful soul that she is. CRESS AND THORNE FOREVVERRRRRR. 

Dorthea and Will Ladislaw from George Eliot's MIDDLEMARCH 
OH. MY. GOSH. Just thinking about these two and a certain epic conversation taking place during a thunderstorm at the end makes me want to drop everything and re-read. *heart-eye-emojis* This is a dense novel that has so many wonderful aspects to it I'm not going to even attempt to sum it up properly. But there is a long slow burn between these two that lasts most of the book but finally culminates into amazingness. Will is possibly one of the most passionate characters I've ever read, and Dorthea's misguided goodness and integrity balances him out in such an interesting way. The book is about more than them, obviously, but they're the living, beating heart of the story.

Polly and Tom from Diana Wynne Jones' FIRE AND HEMLOCK
This book fascinates me. It's hard to explain, but the story draws you in like magic and doesn't let go. The relationship between Polly and Tom really sneaks up on you—it grows as the story grows, and for awhile you don't even know what's really going on. Polly is brave and plucky and smart, and cello-playing Tom is so enigmatic and interesting and kind, and… you really just have to read it. But suffice it to say, I ship these two HARD.

Emma and Mr. Knightley from Jane Austen's EMMA 
Obviously I love Elizabeth/Darcy (I mean really, who doesn't??), but Emma and Knightley hold a very special place in my heart. I first read EMMA when I was about fourteen, and I'd never seen the movie so I didn't know what was up—I had the delightful experience of having Emma's dawning realization about Knightley at the same time as she did. I love their deep friendship, the way they bounce off each other, how they're perfectly flawed. HOW JEALOUS KNIGHTLEY IS OF FRANK. :-D

Shevraeth and Meliara from Sherwood Smith's CROWN DUEL
I first discovered CROWN DUEL/COURT DUEL (originally published as a duology) at the library when I was eleven or twelve, and OMG I shipped these two sooooooooooooooooo hard. I've read it approximately one billion times since then. I love how the latter half feels like a Jane Austen novel, and who doesn't adore exchanging letters with a secret admirer, making wagers on who can ride faster in the rain (THAT WAGER YOU GUYS THAT WAGER), the part at the end where he slowly pulls his gloves off………… I kind of can't handle it. Goodness.

Mal and Alina from Leigh Bardugo's GRISHA trilogy 
I get the Darkling fascination, I do, but I love Mal SO MUCH, you guys. Their friendship, their history together, how much he gives up for her, BASICALLY ALL OF RUIN AND RISING. You guys should have HEARD the noises I was making in the last quarter of that book. I was weeping by the end. I'm sorry, is it raining on my face?
Kestrel and Arin from Marie Rutkoski's WINNER'S CURSE trilogy
I can't handle these two. Her people enslaved his. She kind of buys him at a slave auction. He has ulterior motives. They grow into this tentative friendship. She saves him from a thing. He saves her from a thing. THEY KISS. Role reversal. She has to be loyal to her country. He has to be loyal to his. And then in book two…… augh augh augh augh SO MANY FEEEEEELLLLLLLS. I'm sorry. I can't.

Eugenides and A CERTAIN SOMEONE (trying not to spoil THE PEOPLE WHO STILL NEED TO READ THESE YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE MY GOSH WHY HAVEN'T YOU YET) from Megan Whalen Turner's QUEEN'S THIEF series 
Because he does this thing, and then she DOES THIS AWFUL THING TO HIM. And yet… and somehow… and then… but then… AND THEN……… Please please please just read these books. I beg of you. You'll understand.

Um I think I need to go have a cup of tea. And maybe do some rereading. *nods*

Back to you, walrus.

No comments: