Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Yea Verily, the Word Count Doth Swell

Only two chapters left!! Taking a bit of a break 'cause the last ones need special concentration and my head is starting to hurt (I clearly need more tea).

This revision is going quite well (I think!!). My only concern is the swelling of my word count. Why can nothing I write ever get SHORTER? I've peeked at my initial draft a couple of times over the last week to try and clear up some discrepancies (it didn't actually help), and was pleased to see that the second draft is a much better book than the first, and I think this third draft is making it even better. But not shorter. Never shorter. >:-( First draft was 70K, second draft was 80K, and now I'm pushing 90K! When I do my read-through I'm going to try and cut as much as possible. Hopefully I'll get it down to 85K, but I'm not holding my breath. Sheesh.

Okay. Break time. By which I mean bathroom cleaning time. And a shower. And more tea. Probably in that order.

Also, I think my post titles are possibly getting out of control. On the other hand, I can't just title my posts "update" all the time. That's super boring.

Okay I think I'm done now. :-)

2 comments:

Danielle Pajak said...

I'm glad to hear your revision is going so well. I do remember you telling me about how your novels always get larger when you revise. Haha. I hope you can meet your goal, but longer novels aren't always a bad thing. :)

I think your post titles are awesome.

Oh, and you *always* need more tea. I'm drinking tea right now actually. Hehe.

Joanna Ruth Meyer said...

I like long books, too—they're kind of the best ever! But it's really hard to get one's foot in the publishing door with something too long. 90K is pushing it a bit, I think.


Tea. Mmmmmmmm. Needs it, precious!