Monday, August 24, 2009

In Which Joanna is Supercilious in Matters of Vocabulary

Supercilious, adj., the word that was going around in my head on Saturday night. Yes I realize that's a little weird. Normal people get music stuck in their heads—I do too. It's just sometimes a word will rattle round in my brain and drive me crazy because I can't quite remember what it means and don't have a dictionary handy to look it up. If anyone was wondering, supercilious actually means: behaving or looking as though one thinks one is superior to others. It's also really fun to say. Supercilious. Supercilious. Supercilious. Okay I'll stop now.

In any case, I'm happy to report that I actually got a lot accomplished with Rose Queen edits this past week! I did decide to make the first chapter into two chapters, which worked great and didn't turn out as lopsided as I'd feared. New chapter is titled Daphne Dreams, which is not the most brilliant thing in the world, but whatever. It works pretty well with the rest of the titles. I now have the entire rest of the manuscript to slog through, in which I have to make some character—and possibly plot—decisions. Scary. I'm also considering changing a few of the minor character's names because initially I made them up and some of them just sound… stupid, if I'm going to be honest. But you'll have that.

Unlike my sidebar would have you believe, I'm not currently reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I've started it, mind, and like it (quite a lot, in fact, though it is kinda disturbing so far), and will definitely get back to it before the week is out. You see, I got distracted by Sorcery and Cecelia, a novel written in letters that detail all the Events (magical and otherwise) that are happening in London this Season. Enchanted chocolate pots? Check. Mysterious Marquis? Check. Ballgowns and parties and one's brother being turned into a tree? Most definitely check. At any rate, it's vastly amusing, and I must say a wee bit more comforting to read before bed. :-) Picked up Skin Hunger at the library yesterday, so my to-be-read pile is stacking up. I guess it's a good thing I'm number 30 out of 40 on the holds list for The Hunger Games.

And the Great Agent Hunt? Still no word. I think I might be eighty-four by the time I hear back.

4 comments:

marianas said...

Sorcery & Cecelia is definitely one of my favorite books ever. It's such a great comfort book

Joanna Ruth Meyer said...

I'm LOVING it.

Tori said...

Sorcery & Cecelia sounds fabulous. I'm going to have to see if my library has it.

It sounds like you're really digging in to those edits - I love the title 'Rose Queen'! Good luck with the next bout of revising.

Joanna Ruth Meyer said...

Tori, you totally should! I finished it yesterday and it was fab, made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :-)

Edits and I are currently on speaking terms; that's always nice, though I'm afraid it might not last long. :-P Glad you like the title! There's a random MG mystery novel out there that's called the same thing, but I've decided it doesn't matter. :-)