Monday, January 5, 2015

Book Challenge! :-)

My friend and CP Jenna presented me with this book challenge! Here goes!
1. Which book, most recently, did you not finish?
Let's see… I'm in the middle of Days of Blood and Starlight, which I was reading via ebook from the library. My lease expired, so I have yet to finish it. I was having a harder time getting into it than its predecessor, but still plan to finish when it pops up at the library again. :-)
2. Which book is your guilty pleasure?
Hmmmmmmm maybe Crown Duel, by Sherwood Smith. I've read it approximately five billion times since I first discovered it as a teen back in the day. I just can't help re-reading it every year or so.
3. Which book do you love to hate?
I'm not a Twilight fan, and I have to agree with Jenna about Wuthering Heights. I've read and enjoyed the other Brontes' books, but that one—my gosh. So many unlikable characters!!
4. Which book would you throw into the sea?
There's a lot of "what books do you hate" questions in here, haha. I'd have to say maybe a paranormal creature book (I'm just not generally a fan!).
5. Which book have you read the most?
I'm a chronic re-reader (see above). Favorite re-reads are the books in Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief series, which include The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia, and A Conspiracy of Kings. I love these books SO MUCH. They're ridiculously fun to re-read, because they're so layered you always see something you didn't before.
This past fall, I read The Winner's Curse, by Marie Rutkoski twice, and I plan to read it many, many more times. It was SO GOOD.
6. Which book would you hate to receive as a present?
Probably any book about math.
7. Which book could you not live without?
The aforementioned Queen's Thief series, Lord of the Rings, Middlemarch, all of Jane Austen, and I'm gonna have to add The Winner's Curse to the list as well!
8. Which book made you the angriest?
While it didn't make me angry per se, The Fault in Our Stars left me feeling empty, soulless, and depressed. I didn't think it was a gorgeous heartbreaking romance so much as trying-too-hard to be deep (don't hate me!!).
9. Which book made you cry the most?
Agreeing with Jenna yet again that If I Stay was incredibly beautiful and sad (and more poignant, IMHO, than Fault in Our Stars). Also, the climax of Ruin and Rising was pretty rough! ETA: Sorrow's Knot, by Erin Bow. OHMYGOSH. You need a whole box of Kleenex for that one.
10. Which book cover do you hate the most?
So many "hate" questions!! I guess my cover pet peeve is that so many books look exactly the same. I get tired of photos on covers (because again, they often just look like carbon copies of each other!), and tend to lean towards illustrated covers, like the Grisha trilogy. That said, I have to agree with Jenna (haha—again!!) that These Broken Stars has a completely drop-dead gorgeous cover. The book is super addicting so far, too!!
I'm tagging my other amazing CP, Jen Fulmer, and Twitter friend KL Norton, to complete the challenge next!!
Happy reading in 2015, everyone! :-)

No comments: