Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Writing and Reading and Status Queries, oh my!!

So I just did the scariest thing ever: I sent out status queries for that partial and full, at eight and nine weeks respectively. *shudder* I thought initial queries were terrifying, but no. SQ's are much worse. Probably because there's the possibility of a response. At any rate, I'll keep you posted.

I'm sure you're all anxious to know how my elopement with Shiny Idea is progressing, and I'm happy to announce that it's going pretty well so far. This might be love. :-) I'm at 5,500 words exactly (end of a sentence, too!), and I think I'm at the beginning of the middle, so keeping this thing under 20k is looking good at this point.

Writing without an outline is generally a Very Bad Idea, and I have hit a few snags, but for the most part it's gone smoothly, even if the story's already turning out different than I'd initially imagined. But then, most things generally do—and that is by no means restricted to the writing part of my life! At any rate, the story's called Seraphine, and is about a guy named Demetri who gets tossed into a labyrinth (sans David Bowie :-) ) to get eaten by a monster. It has a vaugely Greek mythology-esque setting, and is kind of a backwards Beauty & the Beast. Yesterday this rad underground library even showed up.

So. That's that. We'll see if I can stick to my guns and write the tragic ending originally planned... I'm already kinda wanting it to end happily ever after instead. :-) But you'll have that.

Finished reading Catching Fire on Thursday, but can't really review it without completely spoiling The Hunger Games, so we'll just leave it at: I enjoyed it, though not quite as much as the first one, and I'm really anxious for book three because I need some closure, dang it!!

And there you have it.

6 comments:

Anna Staniszewski said...

Your WIP sounds like a lot of fun! Anything with an underground library is my kind of story!

I'm with you on wanting some closure after Catching Fire. Alas, we must wait and wait...pa

Joanna Ruth Meyer said...

Anna: libraries, in any form, are AWESOME. :-)

And what IS it with making writers/readers WAIT so much?? Pretty sure it falls under the category of cruel and unusual! :-P

Kelly Polark said...

I love the title of your WIP!

Joanna Ruth Meyer said...

Thanks Kelly, I love it too!! I googled it and apparently it's the name of some painter or something, but I decided I didn't care. :-)

Danielle Pajak said...

Ooooo! The more I hear of your new story the more I get excited about it. Now there is an underground library? You rock, Joanna. Hehe! I am surprised, though, that you are wanting a happy ending. Very unlike yourself. Hehe! ;)

Joanna Ruth Meyer said...

Librarian, tsk. You know that, in my heart, I adore happy endings!! :-)